This is my etc/conf.d/net file:

modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
preferred_aps=("ESSID1" "ESSID2")
essid_wlan0="any"

All specific stuff is in /wpa_supplicant/supplicant.conf

Zeerak

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 03:17:15 +0100, BRM <bm_witn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I have wireless working (b43legacy driver for the Dell Wireless Broadcom) through a static configuration in /etc/conf.d/net - basically:

essid_wlan0="myWLAN"
key_MYWLAN="somekey"
config_MYWLAN=( "dhcp" )
preferred_APS= ( "myWLAN" )

I would like to use a tool like WPA Supplicant instead so I can have a more dynamic configuration. I've tried to setup WPA supplicant but haven't been able to get it to work.

My last attempt was with:

modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
wpa_timeout_wlan0=15

I also tried the iwconfig setup:

modules=( "iwconfig" )
iwconfig_wlan0="mode managed"
wpa_timeout_wlan0=15

Both these were based on configurations I found while researching gentoo wireless configurations:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wireless_Networking

the wpa_supplicant man page possibly suggests uses "-Dbroadcom", but the following supports "-Dwext" since I have the b43legacy driver working (firmware extracted using b43-fwcutter a while back; dmesg reports version 0x127).

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

I have both the iwconfig utilities and wpa supplicant installed. When I used wpa supplicant with either configuration it would just keep searching.

Now, my wireless configuration is currently WEP; and I'd like to upgrade to WPA/WPA2 once I can get a wireless tool on the system as well.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong with the configuration above?

Also - what is the correct GUI for configuring connections under KDE4? I know of the WPA Supplicant GUI; and the GNOME GUI; but would like something under more directly KDE4.

KNemo just puts up monitors that are pretty useless (though look pretty).

TIA,

Ben

P.S. It seems my Linksys WRT54G v3 needs a firmware update for WPA2. So right now, I'd just like to be able to configure dynamically for my WEP network; then I'll focus on going to WPA/WPA2.