----- Original Message ----

> From: BRM <bm_witn...@yahoo.com>
> From: Mike Edenfield
> > > On 12/2/2009 9:17 PM, BRM wrote:
> > > I have wireless working (b43legacy driver for the Dell Wireless Broadcom)
> through a static configuration in /etc/conf.d/net - basically:
> > > essid_wlan0="myWLAN"
> > > key_MYWLAN="somekey"
> > > config_MYWLAN=( "dhcp" )
> > > preferred_APS= ( "myWLAN" )
> > > I would like to use a tool like WPA Supplicant instead so I can have a
> > > more
> dynamic configuration.
> > > I've tried to setup WPA supplicant but haven't been able to get it to
> > > work.
> > Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I had the exact same problem with
> the Dell bcm-based adapter in my Inspiron laptop.
> > It would work fine for open wireless and WEP-secured wireless, but wouldn't
> associated with a WPA-secured access point.
> > Eventually I spent about $30 to purchase an iwl3945 replacement from Dell,
> which worked fine, and never looked back.
> Thanks for the heads up.
> At this point, I'll be happy if I can just get WEP working using WPA
> Supplicant/WiCD/etc. instead of a root user centric configuration file.

Well, it seems to be something with my home network; not sure what.
Over the holidays I did some traveling and took my laptop with me.
I was able to connect to other WEP networks just fine using WPA Supplicant;
however, when I got home I couldn't get WPA Supplicant to work with my home
network and
had to revert back to setting it up via /etc/conf.d/net.

My home wireless network is a Linksys WRT54G version 3 hardware, with slightly
outdated software (by 1 or 2 releases).
SSID is visible. It seems to find it, but then loses it pretty quickly and I
have to restart wlan0 before I can try again.
Works fine when using a static WEP configuration though (e.g. no WPA
Supplicant/WiCD/etc.).

Not sure what to look at next, but this is going to drive me a bit crazy.

Ben