> @Yoav Luft, I don't know if this is the same problem, maybe it doesn't
> relate at all. You should start by checking that there's no pulseaudio or
> something like that monopolizing the alsa output, because maybe the problem
> is not alsa itself. But, if alsa is running alone, I'd start by checking
> the alsa bug tracker and see if there's someone that has the same card/uses
> the same driver and has the same problem.

Just a suggestion on how to test easily.  Boot into console-login and
run mplayer in one ty and mpg321 in another.

I'm sure there are a million variants on ways to do this, but I assume
most have mplayer installed, and mpg321 is small enough for a quick
install, and it uses different libraries I believe, so it should
access separately.

Apparently I can't even follow my own advice, because mplayer is
disallowing mpg321 to access my soundcard!  Well, I guess that
explains my youtube issues!  Of course mpg321 isn't allowed access if
youtube is playing either.

I guess I should fix my own system....

Regards,
daid