> Our handling is simple -- we don't yet.  I don't know how to handle
> things like that, or the previous example of Copenhagen in different
> languages.  Look at Naples -- that's not what Italins call it.  Venice
> is really bad -- no idea how English got it so mangled.  Speaking of
> Japanese, their word for Mexico (last time I checked) was taken from
> the English MEKS-ih-ko and comes out as may-kee-shoo-ko rather than
> the more more natural may-hee-ko if they had taken it straight from
> Spanish.

Yeah, you get all kinds of crazy.  For a long time I couldn't
understand why 'computer' is in katakana (ie: taken from English) and
'calculus' isn't.  As it turns out, the Japanese invented calculus
independent of Newton and Leibniz.

> As for ToKyo being two syllables ... I think it depends on how one
> defines syllables.  Ak a Japanese to pronounce three (san) slowly, and
> it wil be two syllables, sa-n, "saw uhn".  Ask for three hundred which
> comes out as "sambyaku" because the "n" syllable changes sound when it
> sounds better, and they will make quite a few syllables out of it,
> such as (I am guessing now) saw-umm-bee-yaw-koo.  To write Tokyo in
> the proper furigana is probably something like toh-o-kee-yoh-o.

Well, I don't think "n" is really a syllable.  It's a sound, and it's
the only part of the syllabary in Japanese that doesn't have a vowel.
I'm not really convinced this is a syllable in reality.

The proper way to write Tokyo for syllabary would be to-u-kyo-u I
think, but I'm not certain.  But really that's misleading because
you're *not* supposed to pronounce the sounds twice, you just extend
them, so they aren't really syllables either, they are just modifiers.

>> Kyoto is the same case as Tokyo (incidentally, the Chinese
>> characters for those two cities are the same and just reversed in
>> order!).
>
> Nope -- Tokyo is 東京, east capital.  Kyoto is 京都, capital city.  Kyo
> is the same, to is different.

Huh.  I wonder how the hell I came up with that?  I'm convinced I did
not decide that on my own but that someone told me.  And they told me
I'm sure because I remember the story that went with it.  Very
strange.  But you're absolutely right.

Regards,
daid