Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 06:20:34 -0600, Dale wrote:

You say they dropped support.  I call it dropping the ball.  Same thing.

No it's not. One is a bald statement of fact, the other contains a
judgement by using negative terminology.

If they didn't drop the ball, then why is Redhat having to pick up that ball? If KDE hadn't dropped the ball, then Redhat wouldn't have to pick up that same ball. Yes, it is negative. It sure is because it has had a negative effect on others, not just me either.

As bad as I hate M$, one thing I can say, they have never to my knowledge dropped support for a OS unless and until the replacement is fully functional and stable, as finctional and stable as windoze can
get anyway.  At least they don't leave people with a unsupported OS
while they spend a year or two getting the new one ironed out.  I don't
think KDE will take that long but winders does.

You're comparing apples and oranges. With a paid OS, you are mainly
paying for support and security updates, which you still get with a paid
Linux distro.

I realize that M$ is a paid OS but doesn't KDE receive contributions for themselves? Gentoo does? People donate to Gentoo. I don't think Gentoo would make a decision like this.

Most reasonable people
agree that KDE should have supported KDE 3 for at least a few more
months.

Do you have a citation for that? Preferably one that doesn't define
reasonable people as those that think KDE 3.5 should still be developed :)

Well, go join the KDE mailing lists. It's been said several times over there.

So, KDE 3 is still not being supported even after all this.  Nothing
has changed.  Who would have thunk it?

Well, very little has changed. Most importantly, KDE 3.5 still works as
well as it ever did. It was never gong to be developed any more anyway.
As far as Gentoo dropping it from portage is concerned, the fix for that
is editing one line of make.conf, which is hardly an onerous task. The
KDE 3.5 ebuilds are still maintained, they've just moved to a different
repository. This really is a non-issue.

And some of the KDE 3 stuff is having to be removed either for security problems or they don't compile. I subscribe to -dev too. I see the last rites for them.

Dale

:-) :-)