On Wednesday 03 February 2010 20:31:31 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > It just seems to me that portage should keep it so it can work.  It
> > needs python to do that.  Since portage is the package manager for
> > Gentoo, portage is the one that should be protected.
>
> Portage is A package manager, but if you are using portage to remove
> packages, it should be intelligent about removing its own dependencies.
>
> Taken more globally, maybe portage should warn whenever you are trying to
> remove a package that is a dependency of anything in @world.

Could be useful if implemented with an off switch

Or leave it off by default, users can enable it in make.conf if they wish. I
often unmerge deps of things in world, but I know (usually) what I'm doing and
will follow up with a --deep later. Annoying "Are you sure?" "Are you REALLY
sure?" might make me switch to Ubuntu :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com