On 10 Feb 2010, at 17:26, J. Roeleveld wrote:
The mainboard I use (ASUS M3N-WS) has a working hotswap support
(Yes, I tested
this) using hotswap drive bays.
Take a disk out, Linux actually sees it being removed prior to
writing to it
and when I stick it back in, it gets a new device assigned.

This is very interesting to know.

This would be very useful here, even if just for auxiliary use -
swapping in a drive from another machine just to clone it, backup or
recover data, for instance.

Yes, but just for cloning, wouldn't it be just as easy to power down the
machine, plug in the drive and then power it back up?
Or even stick it on a quick-change USB-case? :)

I'd really rather not power the machine down. Likely it's in the middle of a 24-hour DVD rip, or something.

A quick-change USB-case (or similar) is the current method, but I have 4 spare hot-swap bays on the front of this box, so slapping the drive in one of those reduces the clutter in the server cabinet. And that does have a tendency to get VERY cluttered, so if I can reduce that it also reduces the potential for human errors (pulling the wrong USB cable by mistake &c).

Stroller.