On Feb 10, 2010, at 5:04 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> On Mittwoch 10 Februar 2010, Roy Wright wrote:
>>>
>>> you don't even now what that is. Right?
>>>
>>> You just don't use 'it' and you are fine. Btw, I am sure you already have
>>> it installed with soprano.
>>
>> My understanding is the semantic-desktop is just the latest incarnation of
>> kde's clone of google desktop search which just wastes CPU, memory, and
>> disk space.  Personally I don't see the need for this technology as I'm
>> perfectly happy waiting a few seconds on "find" every few months.
>
> your understanding is wrong. Completely wrong. Seriously it hurts.
>
> start here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_(framework)
>
> and then proceed with the links.
>
> google-desktop is something completley different (and something that can be
> replaced with find, locate and grep).

OK, after reading several articles from the given starting point, I now
understand why semantic-desktop wastes so much cpu, memory, and storage
(really, if you organize your data properly who cares about a file's
relationship to an email?).  Also didn't read anything even hinting at security
awareness of the technology which is really scary (imagine an attack that get's
access to the RDFs, it'd tell the attacker exactly which additional files to
target).  And since I don't use/like dolphin, I'll stick with my original
opinion that the semantic-desktop should be totally disabled/uninstalled.

IMO, mandatory semantic-desktop is a very good reason to find another desktop
manager (even after being my primary desktop for 7 years).