On Samstag 13 Februar 2010, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 02:37:53PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
>
> > You have been corrected on this point so many times I now think you
> > are just a stupid ass.
> >
> > It is not slow.
> >
> > You are the only one saying that. People who do use Nepomuk say that
> > it is not slow and does not hog resources (initial scan excepted).
>
>   a) Nepomuk is not slow and does not hog resources
>   b) dbus    is not slow and does not hog resources
>   c) hal     is not slow and does not hog resources
>   d) ....... is not slow and does not hog resources
>   etc, etc, etc.
>
>   Throw in enough "little stuff" and it eventually adds up.  We seem to
> be talking past each other.  It's like the pay-TV channel you don't want
> being bundled in basic cable.  They may claim that they "only cost a
> dollar a month, and surely you can afford that".  Throw in 100 such
> channels, and your cable bill gets ridiculous, and people start
> demanding a-la-carte.  The same principle applies here.
>
>   I agree with the concept that people who don't want KDE dependancies,
> e.g. dbus, shouldn't use KDE apps.  Therefore, I avoid amarok, kaffeine,
> kplayer, etc.  What got me started in this thread was the fact that what
> had been a formerly-standalone media player (audacious), now pretty much
> demands dbus.  dbus would be "bundled in" to my "basic service", i.e.
> ICEWM.

#except that dsbus is not a KDE application. Just grep to portage tree for
apps that use dbus.
The result might be a bit shocking.

Btw, do you have a car? But certainly you drive stick. Unsyncronized. Because
everything else is 'bloat'. And your tv has no way to find channels. You do it
manually - with a screwdriver, I am sure.