----- Original Message ----

> From: Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>
> I also happen to own a couple of old PCs which I try to keep lean and I don't
> mind the odd double declutching to change gears.  Now, I understand the
> development philosophy of KDE4 since this was very well explained, but that
> does not stop me wishing that the developers were a bit more modular in their
> approach.  This is because I would like to use a few KDE apps, but do not
> want
> to have to download and install a load of ever increasing dependencies.  I am
> after a pick 'n mix from the sweet shop, rather than being 'forced' to have
> one of each.

All I can say is try submitting a patch to the KDE folk.
They're not setting out to support that kind of environment, but you never know
what kinds of patches they'll take.

They are looking at low-end systems and scalability (read asiego's blog for
info) - from phones to netbooks to laptops/desktops to servers.

So if you want to run KDE4 on those lean+mean systems, check with them -
there's probably a branch of KDE4 you can use.

Just 2 cents.

Ben