> Should I be able to mount them automatically and let the SW RAID
>  module sort it out or do I have to know how they're tied together
>  beforehand?

> md: looking for a shared spare drive
> md100: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded
> mode
> md: recovery thread finished ...
> md: hde5 [events: 000003a5]<6>(write) hde5's sb offset: 273024
> md: hdg5 [events: 000003a5]<6>(write) hdg5's sb offset: 273024
> XFS mounting filesystem md(9,100)
> Ending clean XFS mount for filesystem: md(9,100)
>
> The partitions look like:
> 9   100     546112 md100
>    9   101     273024 md101

It seems it has correctly mounted its partition... Can't you find it?

I have the feeling that you are messing it up. If I understand it
correctly the server has an hardware RAID controller, that has to be
managed via its drivers.

Software RAID tools aren't suitable to mount correctly this setup, I
would mount random partition for testing purposes only, on a spare
machine.

The wiser thing to do is find an old livecd supporting PERC SAS (or
whatever raid card is in that Snap) RAID cards and assemble the array in
degraded mode for data recovery.

Another thing can come very useful: we once had a similar problem, we
ended up borrowing one identical disc from another running server to put
the array back online, we recovered our data, then restored the other
server's array.

HTH
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.32-gentoo-r5, Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 17
20:30:02 CET 2010