On 17 February 2010 06:27, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  I thought SSDs were projected to
>>> last longer than HDs?  Also, from what I've read, SLC should last much
>>> longer than MLC.
>>
>> It's the other way round: HD's last longer dan SSD's. [1]
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Disadvantages
>
> Thanks for the link.  I did some Googleing too and I'm really
> surprised at what I found.  It sounds like SSDs don't have the
> projected longevity they did when I researched this a year or so ago.
> I'm troubled by the ever-lurking possibility of an HD failure and I
> thought SSDs would be my way out.  Is an HD the best choice for
> reliability?
>
> - Grant

As far as I know, solid state devices are much more susceptible to
solar flare damage, particularly if you are outside.  This is not
exactly common, but hey.  Of course I also have a theory that not an
insignificant number of computer problems are caused by bit-flips from
cosmic ray induced muon showers, but I digress...

~daid