On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 7:34 AM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/23/2010 09:39 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>

>> # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.11
>> # Written by cupsd on 2010-02-23 11:32
>> <Printer HP_LaserJet_M1522nf_MFP_192.168.1.5>
>> Info HP LaserJet M1522nf MFP
>> Location Local Printer
>> DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.5
>> State Idle
>> StateTime 1266953458
>> Accepting Yes
>> Shared Yes
>> JobSheets none none
>> QuotaPeriod 0
>> PageLimit 0
>> KLimit 0
>> OpPolicy default
>> ErrorPolicy stop-printer
>> </Printer>
>>
>> Again, I figured it was working because Open Office finds it without
>> any trouble, but his Gnome account doesn't. (Nor does mine actually -
>> I cannot print from Firefox in my account either.)
>
> Can firefox see the cups html interface at localhost:631 ?

Yes - that's how I'm administering the machine as it's 350 miles away.

>From the CUPS interface at port 631 I can delete the printer, add the
printer automatically - CUPS finds it when I ask it to look for new
printers - and I can print test pages form within the management
interface. I can run Open Office and print pages on the printer. OO
sees the printer with the exact big, ugly name I left as default in
CUPS. My dad says the pages show up and he's right because he reads me
what I typed in. It's all the other apps I've tried remotely
(Evolution in my dad's account & Firefox in mine) that don't find the
printer.

Curious...

Cheers,
Mark