On Wednesday 03 March 2010 14:21:23 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:10:21 +0000, Stroller wrote:
> > But the different Unix directories are supposed to have different
> > general purposes. I don't remember the details of that off the top of
> > my head, but putting something in "/var" ought to indicate that it is
> > somewhat different in nature &/or purpose to something in "/usr". The
> > main Portage tree & a layman overlay are not so fundamentally
> > different, IMO.
>
> That's right, they should both be in /var.

I concur. /usr has a long tradition is Unix of often being mounted read-only
(think thin clients that mount it over NFS).

My set up is:

portage:        /var/portage/
my overlay:     /var/portage/local/alan/
layman:         /var/portage/local/layman/*

As portage is hard-coded to not fiddle with $PORTDIR/local/, this works well
for me and every ebuild on the system is under one mount point.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com