On 3 Mar 2010, at 16:33, Alex Schuster wrote:
Alan McKinnon writes:
On Wednesday 03 March 2010 14:21:23 Neil Bothwick wrote:

That's right, they should both be in /var.

I concur. /usr has a long tradition is Unix of often being mounted
read-only (think thin clients that mount it over NFS).

Any idea why it's different with Gentoo in the first place? /usr also
always sounded wrong to me for the portage tree.

It probably just goes back to a snap descision by Daniel Robbins a decade (or nearly) ago.

At one time he wasn't intending to distribute in the same way - Portage evolved from a script that he wrote to help him build a binary distro he was planning, so perhaps /usr/portage wasn't intended to be installed on users' systems (only on his own machine).

Stroller.