On 3 Mar 2010, at 15:29, Stroller wrote:
I have started following the Gentoo Linux AMD64 Handbook, because the Quick Install Guide is described as "x86". Having untarred the stage I am surprised to find a lib32 directory. I thought compatibility with 32-bit binaries was optional. Or am I misunderstanding? This is going to be a headless server & I can't think that it'll need any binary packages - possibly the management utility for the RAID controller will be distributed as a binary, I'm not sure yet (the hardware RAID key was missing when I got this machine ☹)

Further to Alan's reply, I've proceeded a little further.

I'm onto section 2.3: Changing profiles, where it says:
"If you want to have a pure 64-bit environment, with no 32-bit applications or libraries, you should use a non-multilib profile."

See my comments in the quoted above. It shouldn't be too expensive to enable the RAID in this machine (which is on the mainboard, but requires a little hardware PCB "key" to be fitted). That's a Dell PERC4, which AFAICT is a rebadged LSI megaraid.

This post [1] http://tinyurl.com/3dzcl9 referrs to the management utility thus: "MegaCLI comes as a RPM containing only a single statically linked 32-bit Linux binary", however `eix mega` suggests there may be alternatives, such as `megactl` [2]

My immediate thought when reading the handbook was that it's "best" and "cleanest" and "more right" to only have 64-bit libraries on a 64- bit system, but this need for the RAID management utility is making me wonder if that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Thoughts?

Stroller.

[1]
http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/blog/index.php?/archives/4-LSIlogic-MegaRAID-SAS-and-the-self-explaining-CLI.html