On 03/04/2010 08:44 AM, Graham Murray wrote:
Volker Armin Hemmann<volkerar...@googlemail.com>  writes:

no, it is not safe to have a 64bit only system. Just choose the multilib
profile and start installing. If something needs the 32bit emul libs, it will
pull the stuff in. There is nothing you need to care about.

What is unsafe about a 64bit only system? Surely if it were unsafe then
Gentoo would not offer no-multilib profiles? I have recently built 2
systems using a no-multilib profile and have not found any problems, and
expect to start building a third one today.

You didn't understand the question Volker was replying to. The question was not about "safe" as in "security", but rather "safe" as in "I can rest assured that a no-multilib system can run every software I could install", which is clearly not the case since some applications need 32-bit support.