Walter,

I'd advise going back through and running a "make menuconfig" on
2.6.31-r6/10 and verify that everything is in order.
The reason that I say this is that, in the event that your kernel -DID-
revert back to defaults, if you have a non-ext2/3 partition, it isn't going
t recognize it (EXT4, Reiserfs3.6/4, etc aren't "default" options).
As for the warnings that you are talking about, those have existed for a
while, they are obviously non-fatal and not really pertinent to your issue
at hand.

Cheers

Kad