On 2010-03-10 9:07 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> The current opinion of the current author of the kernel upgrade
> guide says what you quoted.
>
> It's his opinion, it's what he thinks will work best for the
> majority of people. It's probably also the wording that has been
> proven to result in the least bugzilla entries and the fewest mails
> in his inbox from the "Help me!" mob.

It is either a part of the *official* gentoo documentation, or it isn't.

My understanding is that it is. Is that incorrect?

In other words, it is not $random_guide found on the internet somewhere,
nor is it some gentoo dev's private wiki, it is formal, official gentoo
documentation - and that *is* a fact.

If what you say is true, then I guess every single page of every single
bit of gentoo documentation should come with a big fat warning that
'this is just someone's personal opinion, so don't give it any weight
whatsoever - hey, just do your own thang!'...

--

Charles