On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:56:24 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

> > The .30, .31 is the minor kernel version. You shouldn't use oldconfig
> > when going from 2.4 to 2.6 but from 2.6.m to 2.6.n is safe.
>
> Again, not according to the official upgrade guide - it specifically
> uses 2.6.9-r1 to 2.6.9-r2 as an example of a 'minor' update, and going
> from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9 as having potentially 'too large of changes for make
> oldconfig to be considered safe'.
>
> If the guide is outdated, maybe it should be updated:

Whatever the guide says, the third part of the kernel version is
considered the minor revision, anything after that is a patch level.

I see what you mean about the guide and consider it wrong, especially for
an advanced section. You are more likely to run into problems when not
reusing your old config that when using make oldconfig. Even the comment
about context isn't really true, as oldconfig shows some context and the
same help that menuconfig does.

My only complaint about oldconfig is that there is no way to step back or
undo a change, short of Ctrl-C and start again.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 43: Genuine imitation