I have recently started looking at server resilience and availability in
the context of a hardware failure or hardware upgrade.  I've come to the
conclusion that it would be very desirable if terrabyte-scale data did
not need to be restored from backup.  This isn't a commercial server -
so I'm interested in minimum cost approaches.

With this in mind, I'm interested to discover what represents
state-of-the-art from the perspective of the OS and its configuration.
Issues I envisage are:

* With NAS, it would be desirable to have a Linux filesystem rather than
access files over CIFS - this raises further questions about protocol...
is NFS as hopelessly outdated as it seems?  Are there any products that
offer NFS access?  Are any of them secure?
* With a SAN, questions of filesystem features are diminished - but
questions of access protocol remain.  What is best supported by gentoo?
* Do any gentooists have any inexpensive hardware configurations that
work especially well?

Any hints or tips?