On 15/03/2010 15:49, Kyle Bader wrote:
> +1 on zfs w/ solaris for storage, just don't go cheap and get desktop disks.

I have to admit, I do like the idea of ZFS, though not quite enough to
justify maintaining Solaris in addition to my other infrastructure.

I was thinking about something rather different entirely.  I was
thinking about bunging disk on my LAN and shifting as much data from
local storage on my server as possible.  This would mean that the server
could be swapped out with minimum effort.  If 'disk on the net' allowed
mirroring etc. then storage could be expanded and contracted as
necessary without any downtime... essentially, only my hub would then be
a single-point-of-failure.   I'd love to be able to run a VM on my
desktop, for example, and use that as a 'stand-in' while I take-down my
main server for maintenance.  For this to work, I'd need to access the
same file system and be able to switch responsibility for services
between the two 'servers' quickly.

>From ages ago, I remember iSCSI being bandied about.  Did that ever go
anywhere (i.e. is this easy to do from Gentoo?)