Gabriel,

I agree that we should be using a proper ORM solution, but I do not
think that the O-R mapping process can be separated from the target
application schema. I do not see why you think these are orthogonal. It
makes most sense to me to have a GUI that allows the user to navigate
their database schema and the target application schema at the same time
and make the connections between them. Significant problems arise when
the information models of the database and XML schema are incompatible,
such as different association cardinality.

The feedback I get from our most experienced deployer is that the most
time-consuming part of using app-schema is constructing the database
views required to adapt a maintenance database schema into the
information model of the target XML application schema. In my view (no
pun intended), the biggest win would be a complete solution that would
allow a reversible (to support filter queries) mapping between the
target application schema and the database schema, without the use of
any intermediate views. This would be driven by a GUI with access to the
target application schema and the database schema. A one-step solution
would also permit query optimisation, which at the moment is prevented
not only by the intermediate simple features but also by the database views.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>