Ok, some update,

thanks to you now I can see my DTED level 0! But there is a (little?)
problem: it seems that in the resulting image the tiles are not
correctly merged, since every single tile has its own color range, so
at the borders there is a marked difference. This happen with all the
methods I tried:
- using gdal_merge.py to merge all the tiles directly from the dt0 files;
- using gdal_translate to create a tiff for every dt0 file and then
merging them with gdal_merge.py;
- using the imagemosaic plugin on the 414 small tiffs created from the
dt0 files.

Note that gdal_translate called with param "-expand rgb" (just for
testing) gave me "Error : band 1 has no color table".
Note also that the generated geotiff appears completely black, the
only way to see the DTED is to open it using geoserver, or to increase
the contrast using an image editor... So the file is correctly
created, but something wrong happens on the color interval used,
probably.

Thank you!

--
Stefano