On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Ákos Maróy <a...@maroy.hu> wrote:
> but despite this, when going for the 'add new datasource' page, GML is
> not listed among possible vector data sources.
>
> I wonder how one can try out GML support in GeoServer?

GML as a datastore is not supported since a few years ago.
No one was maintaining that datasource and while GML is
a good and rich data exchange format it is not suitable
for data serving, it's slow to parse, uses a lot of disk space
and does not have any spatial index.

Generally speaking I'd suggest to use ogr2ogr to import
the GML into a spatial database or turn it into a shapefile
and serve from there.

In my spare time I'm also working on a new store that will
allow GeoServer to use the OGR library eventually installed
on the operating system. The code is still pretty new and
has not undergone any kind of load testing to assess its
stability under stress, but I hope that it will be offered
as an option in the future when GeoServer 2.2.0 gets
released.
OGR can read many formats, including GML.

As another option one could use the existing GML2/GML3
parsing abilities of GeoTools (the jars you mentioned)
to build a pure java data store.

Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)