Dear GeoTools-Team,

Is it possible to relicense files packaged with geotools that are limited to
LGPLv2.1
in such a way that they can be used under LGPLv2.1 or later?

Background:

We would like to use geotools by default for our software product, the
   atesio-fttx-optimizer
which is a backend optimization platform in the area of planning FTTx (fiber to
the x)
telecommunication networks. We would link it as a java library without changes
to the code.

Your website states that you are using the LGPL license.
Many of the provided files (if a license is explicitly stated in the file)
are in fact under LGPLv2.1.

More precisely, in some cases you restrict to LGPLv2.1 only as in

   org.geotools.data.AllQuery.java  (LGPLv2.1-only)

In other cases you allow the use with LGPLv2.1 or any later version

  org.opengis.filter.capability.FilterCapabilities.java (LGPLv2.1-or-later)

In addition, we partially find third party code with licenses such as
  - LGPL 3.0
  - Apache-2.0
  - Public Domain
  - WTFPL
  - MIT
  - BSD-3-Clause

where you add LGPLv2.1-only to the original license, see for instance

     org.geotools.xml.impl.DatatypeConverterImpl.java:

/*
  *    GeoTools - The Open Source Java GIS Toolkit
  *    http://geotools.org
  *
  *    (C) 2019, Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo)
  *
  *    This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  *    modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
  *    License as published by the Free Software Foundation;
  *    version 2.1 of the License.
  *
  *    This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
  *    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
  *    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
  *    Lesser General Public License for more details.
  */
/*
  * Copyright 2003-2016  The Apache Software Foundation
  *
  *
  * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
  *
  * limitations under the License.
  *
  */

This however is not consistent, as Apache 2.0 is not compatible with
LGPLv2.1-only,
see for instance https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html.en#apache2.
Notice that in such a case there is no problem when using LGPLv2.1-or-later
instead
("version 2.1 of the License, OR **(at your option) any later version**")
because
there are later versions of the LGPL that are compatible with Apache 2.0.

To avoid any license issues it would be a solution that those files which are
licensed
under "LGPL-2.1-only" are relicensed

   ** under LGPLv2.1 or later **.

This would ensure compatibility with Apache 2.0 as well as the alternative
licenses above.

Could you relicense the respective files under "LGPLv2.1-or-later" or would you
give us individually
the respective permission?

Yours sincerely,
  Christian Raack