Dear Ian,

I see your standpoint. Frankly spoken, we are fine with both, permissive and
copyleft licenses. However, as long as different licenses are used in the same
program/package they should be compatible.

The advantage of "LGPL-2.1 or any later version" is that we can switch to version 3 of the LGPL that is compatible with Apache-2.0 (see https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html.en#apache2 which applies to LGPL-3.0 in the same was as for GPL-3.0 due to the specific provision in sec. 7 GPL-3.0, for further information see https://gplv3.fsf.org/gpl3-dd4-rationale.pdf/, page 9).

So the benefit is clarity, its not about being permissive. Stating "LGPL-2.1 or any later version" is more flexibel since you have third party files in your package that say for instance LPGL 3.0 or that say Apache 2.0. We simply want to use your code as a library linked to our code.

Thanks again to all of you for being so responsive,
we appreciate it very much!
Best
   Christian