To: "GEP-Ed" <gep-ed@listserve1.allegheny.edu>
Cc: "Wil Burns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "NICHOLAS WATTS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: Montreal and Kyoto Compared

Ok, an interesting comparison of national benefits from national versus global implementation. But otherwise, wow, a bizarre article. Perhaps an example of how you cannot do good political science if you base it on lousy climatology, old economic analysis, and pretend that there's no such thing as technical innovation and change. If Nordhaus and Boyer's estimates of the damages from climate change were remotely close to correct, we wouldn't really be worried about this problem. Yes, George Bush believes (or some of his advisors/donors believe) that the US would be economicaly damaged by reductions in CO2. But he also believes that evolution is unproven and seems to have difficulty distinguishing the interests of the United States from the interests of the United States' fossil fuel industry. The countries that are "foolishly" complying with Kyoto are developing the technology of the 21st century. E.g. try Googling: Siemens Wind Power, Vestas, REpower AG, Talisman Beatrice Project, Shell Renewables, or, hey, even the US can do it -- Tesla Motors.

Willett Kempton