Dear All:

Happy Wednesday. Thank you to Geoffrey for circulating the article and starting
this thread.

On first brush I have the same reaction as the others, especially its
repetition of harmfully simplistic conceptions of cost-benefit analysis related
to climate change. It largely overstate the costs, and woefully underestimates
the many net positives, of reducing oil and cost use (e.g. environmental,
political, security, economic, efficiently, and public health positives). It
ignores the best and most recent thinking on the net, economy wide "costs" of
carbon trading and carbon taxes. And it also essentially ignores (at least on a
serious level), the very real possibility of huge costs associated with climate
change. Like many of you, I interact on a regular basis with a variety of
leading climate scientists. Even the most skeptical believe that large extreme
impacts are at least possible (some believe probable) within the lifetimes of
our children. How do you calculate the cost of 20 feet (or more) of sea level
rise? Acidification of the ocean? More and more extreme weathe!
 r events?

More parochially,  I also take particular exception to the rather simplistic
understanding of the Montreal Protocol, its history and the various positive
and negative aspects of its implementation. I say this as someone who attended,
usually working for UNEP, all the global negotiations between early 1990 and
1999 that expanded the ozone regime and set the rules for its implementation.

I have other criticisms of his simplistic analysis of climate policy.  I will
post more detailed comments if this indeed is published.  Although not central
to the criticism, I will note here, that whatever their view of Kyoto as it
stood when it was negotiated, the US based and international business
communities are, in general, far more realistic than the White House with
respect to the realties of climate change and what needs to be done to mitigate
and adapt to it.  Whoever wins the White House in 2008, I predict a sea change
in policy. Many influential parts of the Chinese and India business and
political communities are also increasingly realistic.

Finally, on a slightly different point, the IPCC report to be released next
year will bury most of the science debates. At the risk of preaching to the
choir, IMHO, social scientists and policy analysts need to remind ourselves and
others that: scientific consensus does not require unanimous agreement on all
points; that there is no logical, historical, or policy reason that a lack of
unanimity on all points should prevent prudent policy - even very strong
prudent policy; and that there is an emerging consensus regarding a very real
possibility that one or more tipping points exist in the global climate system.
Going beyond these points could produce very large, very negative, and, for all
practical purposes, nearly irreversible impacts. Thus, there is an unknown, and
perhaps unknowable, deadline for global climate policy. I am not arguing for a
particular policy outcome. I accept that some people might argue that we should
do nothing about climate change. But  it appears to!
  make intellectual sense to include these facts when evaluating
climate-related policy proposals and policy analyses. Indeed, failing to do so
appears somehow intellectually dishonest. I know I and others have made these
points before (and I am working on several papers that touch on different
aspect of these points) but when faced with change on such a scale, I think
they deserve repeating.

David Downie
Director, Global Roundtable on Climate Change
Associate Director, Graduate Program in Climate and Society
Columbia University
212-854-5725; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.perseusbooksgroup.com/westview/book_detail.jsp?isbn=0813343321