>Is there anything I can do to get them to stop? Buy a
>board of gerbil friendly wood and place the bowl on
>that? Any ideas? I'm worried they won't be able to get
>to food.. not to mention, picking out the shavings of
>the bowl every time it gets buried is tedious. :p

They will always bury their food.  But what I did is I put the food dish in
a 4-4.5" terracotta planting pot with enough bedding to put the lips of the
bowl and pot even.  This didn't keep them from covering it with bedding,
but there was very little space between the dish and the pot, so they
couldn't knock it over, move it around, or whatever.  Plus it's high enough
up that they have to put *all* of their shavings on top of it to bury it,
but it's still accessible.  And it's much simpler to get out of the tank.

Just an idea
Kelly + Spoo