On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 20:22 +0300, Alexia Death wrote:
[...]
> My proposal is basically this:
> http://a.death.pri.ee/2.6_default_layout_proposal.png

I think there's some good here, although I also think changes here might
be better targeted at 2.8.

I like the Z-brush and RawTherappee style of docked pallettes, although
z-brush sicks with multiple imatges.  The idea is just that the docks
sit next to the image window, as per your picture, but form a list of
headings that one can open and close, rather like a gtk+2 treeview.

But with properly docked pallettes (not faked just by putting them
near each other), if I had multiple windows open I'd expect to be
able to have mutliple docked pallettes, e.g. an Undo History pane
for each image.  Floating ones would apply to the active image, as
now.  This greatly reduces visual clutter but keeps everything
you need still quickly accessible.

A change like that would need to be reviewed for changes to scripting,
though, as well as for documentation, and hence I'd vote for waiting
for 2.8, and seeing how the new tag editing fits in.

I do agree that GIMp needs to work well on 1024x768 screens, at least
for now, as well as larger ones.

Liam