Daniel Egger wrote:
> Am Die, 2003-07-22 um 21.57 schrieb David Neary:
> > Actually, I'm not sure I see the benefits in not having html as
> > the primary format... Sure, we could go for a format which allows
> > multi-node searching (like info only better), but html docs would
> > have the added benefit of not needing to be local and still being
> > usable.
>
> What do you mean by "not needing to be local"? The problem is exactly
> that the filenames have to be known in advance so we can link to them;
> this means that for HTML the files have to be in a known place (defined
> at compile time) and there has to be a mapping.

I may be missing the point, but if you use relative paths for
linking, there wouldn't be a problem, would there?

In any case, I bow to your greater knowledge :) I really know
very little about documentation mark-up.

> - a webbrowser is by design not the optimal tool to view online help
>   while working with the application
> - a webbrowser cannot provide fulltext search over all documentation
>   since it doesn't see the whole text at once

I understood that docbook2html xslt was out there, and that there
were utilities that did docbook to pdf, html or text fairly
easily.

> until the projected date of release of GIMP 2.0 and as such it doesn't
> make a whole lot of sense to me to bend over trying to somehow get the
> transformation and the help-browser in place because it's a waste of
> precious time when not knowing that it'll be used for a longer period of
> time. The explanation I proviced about displaying HTML instead of
> DocBook directly (still just for the online help!) should show why this
> an inferior solution. I've a few more points in case someone wants to
> discuss it over, but for me there's no point in supporting a quick hack
> instead of a proper long term solution which the HTML one simply cannot
> be, at least not in this form, and I haven't heard of a better one yet.

It's clear that I don't understand the problems involved, so as I
said before, as far as deployment goes, I bow to your better
judgement.

Cheers,
Dave.

--