From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:18:53 +0100

   Don't underestimate the importance of the resolution info for the print
   plugin. The following task may not be very professional, but it is
   certainly something the average gimp user does frequently:

   Scan in an image, retouch it, collage it, whatever, then print it.

   When doing this with gimp-1.1.x all parts of the data stream support the
   resolution information. The scanner plug-in uses it, the application gives
   you the necessary infos in realsize units, you may even save and load your
   image in between in a variety of formats. But when you choose to print the
   image, that information carried along all the way is useless, since it is
   simply ignored. We have added the image resolution in 1.1 only to make Gimp
   better suited for printed graphics. CYMK support is still missing, but I
   thought we'd at least manage to integrate the resolution info completely.

I must admit I hadn't quite thought in these terms (my experience has
been in layout and photography, where absolute size is typically less
important).  I still think it's lower in absolute priority than some
of the other stuff, like other printers (because there's a workaround
to one and not to the other), but you've given me something to think
about here.

I'm still not convinced that this is the best way to handle printing
resolution, since the desired printing resolution depends on a lot of
things, some of which are very printer specific.  But if that's the
approach chosen we should try to accommodate ourselves to it.

I'm still very reluctant to make this kind of change in 3.0, absent
clarification on 1.2 release status.

--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net