I have some comments on Bhaaluu's onion-skinning tutorial which is
included at the end of this message.

Step 9 instructs the user to perform a "File->Open" the second frame
(f_000002.xcf). When using GAP, you should not use File->Open to
navigate frames; use one of the commands: "Video->Go To" (which is
useful to assign keyboard shortcuts), "Video->Playback" (which
provides some nice "scrubbing" functionality), or "Video->VCR
Navigator" (which provides easy cut-n-pasting of frames). Not only
will the operation take much less time, but some operations depend
upon GAP managing the displays. Step 9 should instruct "Video->Go
To->Next Frame".

In Step 8, the Stack Position line should have a "0" in it; specifying
that the onionskin layer should be placed at the top of the layerstack.
    Stack Position: 0 [From Top]

In Step 10, the onion-skin layer should appear above the background
layer in the layerstack and it should be unnecessary to lower it (if
the instructions in the preceding comment are followed).

In Steps 11 to 14, it would probably be better to use the Move Tool to
align the layers, rather than the Selection Tool. The method that
Bhaaluu proposed will only work with older versions (2.2 and earlier)
of GIMP, whereas using the Move Tool works with all versions. The Move
Tool permits the keyboard cursor keys to be used for moving in
single-pixel increments (or SHIFT-cursor for larger steps). This also
eliminates the need to make a selection and the need to anchor the
layer.

Instead of performing Steps 15 and 16, just move on to the next frame.
Because the onionskin setup includes the "Auto delete before saving",
the XCF file which gets saved (before you go to a different frame)
will not have the onionskin layer. After you are done with all of your
editing, delete the onionskin configuration, and use the
"Video->Frames Convert..." command to save your results as PNM files.

In Step 17, again "File->Open" should not be used. To navigate to the
second frame, use one of the methods suggested in my first comment.

Finally, the instructions of Step 19 suggest that using onionskin
layers is not the best approach for this task. Onionskinning is useful
if you want to align frame 2 with frame 1, frame 3 with frame 2, frame
4 with frame 3, and so on. It is not a particularly good method to
align frame 2 with frame 1, frame 3 with frame 1, frame 4 with frame
1, etc.

I would propose the following approach to accomplish the latter task
(the first seven steps are identical to Bhaaluu's tutorial):

  1. Create new directory and save all PNM files to the new directory.
  2. Change to the new directory, and create a directory: PNM
  3. Copy all the PNM files to the PNM directory. This is a backup.
  4. Open The Gimp.
  5. File > Open > f_01.pnm
  6. Video > Frames Convert...
         Extension: .xcf
     GAP saves all the PNM files as XCF files, in sequential order.
  7. Close f_01.pnm.
  8. In f_000001.xcf window, perform an "Image->Duplicate". A new
"Untitled" image should be displayed.
  9. In f_000001.xcf window, perform a "Video->Move Path". Change the
Stepmode to "None" and change the Opacity to "50%" (the From and To
frames should be the first and last frames). Press OK. -- this will
create a copy of the first frame as the top layer of each of the frames.
  10. Perform a "Video->Go To->Next frame". (You should assign this
command to a keyboard shortcut. I have assigned my F5, F6, F7, and F8
keys to First, Previous, Next, and Last frame commands respectively.)

  11. Activate the bottom layer ("Layer->Stack->Select Bottom Layer").
This is conveniently accomplished with the END key.
  12. Activate the Move Tool (keyboard shortcut "M"). Hold down the
SHIFT key and use the mouse to align your registration points (or use
the cursor keys)

Repeat Steps 10 through 12. This amounts to the following keystrokes:
F7, END, cursor keys and should be rather quick to accomplish. If it
is necessary to use the Rotate Tool, you will have to anchor the
floating layer.

  13. Go to the first frame ("Video->Go To->First Frame")
  14. Perform a "Video->Frames Layer Delete" and delete "layerstack:
0" from the first to the last frame (leaving only your background).
  15. Perform a "Video->Frames Convert..." as in Step 6, only change
the extension to ".pnm".

The GAP is rather intimidating at first; but it can be a powerful tool
for accomplishing repetitive image editing tasks, not just animations.

== START OF QUOTED TUTORIAL ==