On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 02:04:31PM -0800, Jeffrey Goldberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Yup.  I get the same problem.  While, with LANG=german all is well.
>
> Sorry, I misunderstood the relationship between /usr/share/locale and
> actual locale settings.

It seems that at least all major linux distribution, about every developer
under the sun (me included) and lots of other people misunderstood
this, otherwise you either would see LANG=de working OR not so many
scripts (like the distribution installation scripts!) would set
LANG=nonexistantlocale.

(Arguably LANG=de cannot be a full locale anyway, since you use different
rules in german-speaking countries. On the other hand, LANG=german makes
about as much sense.)

I _am_ wondering, though, why LC_MESSAGES is respected even without
setlocale. It makes sense, of course, to do this but usually the glibc
dveelopers chose the "it's not 100% correct, you suffer"-way.. strange ;)