Hi Ram,
The guideline you have used is obsolete, official installation doesn't
support Ubuntu. You can install gitorious using ce-installer on Centos 6.x:
http://getgitorious.com/installer
If you don't want to change your OS, you could use VM:
http://getgitorious.com/virtual-appliance and then use installer to upgrade
it to 3.x.
You could use our docker image as well:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/gitorious/chU6_jYk1eg