Dear Colleagues,

I have been quietly absorbing all of this, and am still absorbing. :-)
But let me say this: we at Kabissa have a very practical orientation and
don't really push Open Source in our trainings or through our services
and Web site unless it's just staring in our faces as just plain better.
Open Source Content Management Systems and other server-based tools and
desktop applications like Firefox and Thunderbird spring straight to
mind.

In the meantime, I hope you and other software developers in Africa are
aware of and considering attending Africa Source II, which will be an
ideal opportunity for discussing these concerns in a retreat setting.
The deadline for applying is October 24th. I've pasted the announcement
below - the latest version of which can always be found at:

http://www.tacticaltech.org/africasource2

Best wishes,

Tobias

--
Tobias Eigen
Co-Executive Director

Kabissa - Space for Change in Africa
http://www.kabissa.org

Washington DC Office
1519 Connecticut Avenue Suite 200
Washington DC, 20036 USA
Tel: +1-202-265-6116 (GMT-5)
Fax:  +1-702-441-8964

Seattle Office
9670 Olympus Beach Road NE
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110 USA
Tel: +1-206-965-9345 (GMT-8!)

Africa Source II - Free and Open Source Software for Local Communities
Kalangala, Uganda - Jan 08-Jan 15, 2006
Please note that the deadline for sending in applications has been
extended until October 24th, 2005.

Africa Source II will be an eight day hands-on workshop aimed at
building the technical skills of those working with NGOs on the
continent. It will take place in one of the most beautiful parts of the
Kalangala Island on Victoria Lake during the beginning of January 2006.

Africa Source II will bring together more than 100 NGOs and NGO
technology support professionals working at the local level across the
region, together with a handful of field leaders from Africa, Europe,
North America and Asia. Africa Source II will be a free and open source
software (FOSS) event. It's primary goal will be to increase the
practical use of FOSS desktop applications and tools amongst the non
profit sector in Africa.

Specifically, Africa Source II will focus on how Free and Open Source
Software (FOSS) can be integrated into the mission-critical work of
NGO's. We will be bringing together nearly 100 NGO Support
Proffessionals and NGO Staff from across Africa to learn new skills,
exchange tips, and share experiences. All participants will have a
history of work with service and advocacy NGOs, educational
organisations, NGO resource centres, community centres and health
information organisations.

Participants with a range of experience will learn from one another
about how FOSS can help make their NGO's more efficient, build capacity
and assure that they are complying with software licensing laws. They
will be given an opportunity to develop their understanding of FOSS,
including exploring the challenges and the future potential of FOSS
adoption. There will be a range of sessions for participants to take
part in and will include:

* How to help NGO's plan for, migrate to and adopt FOSS applications
* How to use FOSS applications to handle information, publish content
using citizen's media tools and engage constituency
* How FOSS can increase accessibilty through localisation, translation
into local language and dialects

During these sessions participants will get an opportunity to learn from
peers about how FOSS has impacted their work through case studies and
skill shares. The workshops will be lead by a range of facilitators from
the respective region with strong experience in deploying free and open
source solutions and of working in the non- profit sector. They will be
joined by a handful of others with relevant experiences from developing
and transition countries, as well as a select number of leaders in from
specific fields

The camp will focus on learning by doing, rather than by listening. We
aim for a "workshop vibe" as opposed to a "conference vibe"; we hope
that elements like the location, shared housing, and the nature of the
sessions keep the energy level high and the interest in active
participation over passive learning strong. Like other source events,
Africa Source II will be intentionally designed to foster community
building, this creates an atmosphere conducive to learning, but more
importantly is essential if longer term relationships are to be built.

Building on the previous Africa Source event (Namibia, March 2004),
which brought together African FOSS developers working in the social
sector, Africa Source II will instead work at a different level,
concentrating on bringing together those working with NGOs and
technology at the practitioner and intermediary level. Besides new
ideas, skills and contacts that participants will gain they will also
leave the workshop equipped with an event specific version of NGO-in-
a-box, a collection of Free and Open Source Software that will be
relevant to their work.

The Association for Progressive Communication APC (regional network),
Fantsuam Foundation (Nigeria), Schoolnet Africa (regional network),
Translate.org.za, WOUGNET (Uganda), Creative Commons South Africa,
Aspiration (US) and The Tactical Technology Collective (the Netherlands)
will collaborate to organise the content of the workshop and to build
strong relationships between the participants. The project partners are
committed to examining the challenges of implementing FOSS in the
African context, stretching its potential to fit the needs on the
ground, and building local capacities to realise this. Our local
partners there are East African Center for Open Source (EACOSS), Linux
Solutions and WOUGNET.

Previous source events have taken place in Croatia - September 2003,
Namibia - March 2004 and India - February 2005. As well as in Middle
East & Northern Africa future source events will take place in Central
Asia and Middle East. Interaction and learning between these regional
events is facilitated through the exchange of project models and
individual expertise.

For more information please visit:
http://www.tacticaltech.org/africasource2

Applications will be announced and invited between September and
November 2005. Participants will be selected by the Advisory Group based
on their interest and experiences. There will be a small registration
fee for the event. A limited number of travel and registration fee
scholarships will be available and may be applied for on application. If
you would like to receive an application form or have any questions
please write to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>