Great idea, Doug, but I believe there's a problem with your methodology:
netcraft.com can only measure machines that have a direct Internet
connection, which, in the case of most of Africa, are servers and
routers. Most workstations at companies, Internet cafes, government
agencies, and universities will have non-routable IP numbers and would
never show up in your survey.

When I look at my Web logs, I still see that the most used operating
system -- more than 80% of my traffic coming from Africa -- is some
variant of Windows, and that's not accounting for Windows workstations
using proxy servers running Linux.

Again, we are left where Keats AND Heeks originally left us: FOSS is
widely used for backstage applications by those familiar with the
technology (and embedded into routers and such), but Windows is the
interface of choice for desktop productivity.

Best regards!

-- Cliff

- - - - -

Cliff Missen, MA
Director, WiderNet Project
University of Iowa

tel:  319-335-2200

http://www.widernet.org

On Thursday, October 20, 2005, Douglas J. Trainor wrote:

..snip...
> However, for my own purposes, I thought of a simple question
> just now:
> What operating systems run on Tanzanian machines on the
> Internet, and are they FOSS or non-FOSS?
>
> I did a quick and crude "ad hoc" survey by limiting my
> inquiry in the following way:
>
>     (1) Take only domains with the TLD suffix .tz
>         Admittedly, this does not represent all machines in Tanzania,
>         but it is my sample.
>
>     (2) Use a list of operating systems identified reliably by
>         netcraft.com [Reference 2 and 3].
>
> I answered my own question with a few minutes of effort.
..snip...