Dear Kris,

On Mon, 2005-10-17, Kris Dev wrote:
> I had earlier posted that most Open Source Tools are developed or
> proposed by International NGOs or Governments who get public funding and
> most international and national conferences are attended by the
> employees of such international organizations and Governments.

Please name these FOSS tools. I don't know of any world famous tools
developed by International NGOs or Governments. Most governments AFAIK
only deploy and customise exiting FOSS tools.

As far as I know most important FOSS tools are developed by companies.
For example Red Hat, Novell, Linspire, Canonical, MySQL, Zope, Apple,
Sun Microsystems, etc are all for-profit companies.

Please name the FOSS tools that you are talking about...

> How can private entrepreneurs and organizations fund open source
> development and attend conferences? How do they generate the money?

There are seven ways you can generate money using FOSS. Please see:
<http://management.itmanagersjournal.com/management/04/05/10/2052216.shtml?
t=
id=3D85>

> Many corporations use Open Source as a basic tool and have
> advanced-priced versions and charge high service fees and sponsor Open
> Source conferences.

Yes exactly. This is a completely valid FOSS strategy. There is
absolutely nothing wrong with that.=20

> Can Open Source meetings be made free for those who aspire to promote
> open source?

It depends who is organising the meeting. We are organising a meeting
called World-Information.org. Where FOSS will be discussed. You are
welcome to attend this meeting for free.
http://world-information.org/wio/program/bangalore2005

There will also shortly be another free event in Mumbai called World
Summit on Free Information Infrastructures organised by Dr. Nagarjuna of
TIFR. I will post more details regarding that event when I have them.

Thanks,

Sunil
--
Sunil Abraham, [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.mahiti.org
314/1, 7th Cross, Domlur Bangalore - 560 071 Karnataka, INDIA