On Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005, Taran Rampersad wrote:

> Anything that creates a trade subsidy to give the illusion of
> development is a farce. That includes, generally speaking, both FOSS and
> proprietary software - and yes, some FOSS is a trade subsidy for
> developing nations as well. The FOSS I advocate is not, but then again -
> it's not 'popular'. As the former Editor for LinuxGazette.com (which SSC
> has let go down the toilet), as a former 'Community Facilitator' for SSC
> - I can tell you that the focus is on selling people 'stuff' - not only
> software companies (FOSS and proprietary), but the media that represents
> them. Advertisers pay the bills, advertisers sell hardware and software,
> if you want to make money you have to keep the advertisers happy. That's
> business, and there is no getting around that. Or is there?

So how would you characterize the perennial net outflow of cash from the
less developed world to the so-called civilized world? It looks like a
subsidy to me. One that occurs over quite a number of centuries. I think
it is overdue for a reversal. The problem with reversal is that a lot of
entrenched interests will lose if that happens. So we run into all the
structural issues like a wave breaking upon a rock.

> Development isn't too 'popular' either. Maybe we have too many marketers
> in 'Development' and not enough people doing things. In fact, I believe
> that right now this is the case. The things which require effort to use
> are being cast aside for things that are easier to use - but there is a
> tradeoff. There is always a tradeoff. A lot of us sit around and only
> communicate with others who are interested in technology. We preach to
> the choir.

Development means different things depending on where you look at it
from. A lot of folks would think that they are part of development and
hoping to help people who need it. Ask the same people who need it
whether or not any development is happening and they will tell you, NO.

I think Clare Short said it best when reacting to protests at a G8
summit. She wondered why a bunch of white people from rich countries
were claiming to represent the world's poor. In the development
community, we from the less developed countries are not adequately
represented, we don't make decisions, and we don't get paid expat
salaries either.

> It's not just FOSS, either. Renewable energy, open hardware, open
> CONTENT...

It goes way beyond FOSS. It goes to the heart of everything. People have
whole industries based on helping us, and those industries are super
profitable because we don't get help. The money disappears.

Recently, there was a post on FOSS and NGOs happening in Africa. NGOs
are involved because the sponsoring NGO thinks so. Do we need FOSS in
NGOs or do we need training of our developers and attention paid to
them? Who should be surprised when it all fails, just as it is happening
now?

-- G.