Dear Colleagues,

I've been gathering information about community wireless initiatives in
developing markets, and though I've found a number of truly inspiring
stories, have yet to find any central repository of such learnings. If
anyone has a suggestion for an existing resource, I'd be pleased to hear
about it. Assuming, however, that there isn't such a thing yet, I'd like
to see how it might get created.

I wear two hats for this project. As a partner in
CollectiveIntelligence.net, we use mapping and data visualization to
help communicate varying perspectives in developing markets and in
global community initiatives. I'm also a partner in MuniWireless LLC,
which has a Web site, muniwireless.com, that is known as the central
repository for U.S.-based community wireless (WiFi/WiMax/mesh etc.)
initiatives, both in metropolitan and rural areas. So we have some
visibility (and a Web site) that would make a good place to start
gathering such stories.

The goal would be to help define some useful practices that can help
people build sustainable community wireless projects in developing
markets. (I'll admit a strong bias toward networks that have a viable
business model, and which provide a platform for others to start
developing sustainable businesses.) It would be a place where people can
contribute stories, and offer recommendations for overcoming the typical
financial, technical, social, and political challenges of planning,
designing, piloting, rolling out, and enhancing such networks.

I'd like to ask...

1) Which sites folks on the list would recommend as good existing
resources that already have stories about community wireless
initiatives? Even individual stories are useful. (I've started tagging
ones I find as "3dworldwireless" on del.icio.us).

2) Are there a few folks who might want to get involved in a
conversation about what a good resource for developing-market community
wireless might look like? It would be helpful to have the brief
involvement of a small group of people with a variety of perspectives.

In either case, please feel free to communicate on or off list. Thanks.

gB

Gary A. Bolles
Partner, Collective Intelligence <www.collectiveintelligence.net>
Partner, MuniWireless LLC <www.muniwireless.com>