On 4/28/06, Graham Knight wrote:

> I am saddened to discover that with all the information published, there
> seems to be nothing about radio for the poor in developing countries.
>
> Am I wrong?

I submit that there is plenty...wrong with the promotion of radio in
majority world countries. Curiously enough, many decades after most of
these countries (and I am from India, one of the worst offenders)
shrugged off the colonial yoke, their governments still use radio in
command and control mode.

Since I mentioned India, just look at one simple statistic : 600
licensed radio stations in sixty years - and the number was less than
half that a month back, they just auctioned off public spectrum into the
hands of a few greedy marketers. Expect more rubbishy pop programming to
assault the ears of the 'developing' middle class in smaller towns now,
as we already have the misfortune of listening to over the past three
years (that's when the government finally got out from doing and being
everything in audio broadcasting).

Anyway, to get a quick round up of the Indian scene (not totally up to
date, but a fair grasp of the ground reality) do look at our web site
<www.radiophony.com>.

In Zimbabwe, six persons have just been arrested for recording audio
content and sending it to foreign shortwave stations to broadcast. Maybe
radio for the masses has a bit further to go yet.

--
Vickram