Thorkil Naur:
Hello,

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 15:07, Christian Maeder wrote:
Hi,

I've succeeded in building a binary distribution that uses static
libraries for gmp and readline. libreadline.a, libncurses.a and libgmp.a
with corresponding header files are included. (For license issues ask
someone else.)

On http://gmplib.org/ we find:

"GMP is distributed under the GNU LGPL. This license makes the library free to use, share, and improve, and allows you to pass on the result. The license gives freedoms, but also sets firm restrictions on the use with non- free
programs."

I have not attempted to check whether your distribution fulfills the
requirements of the LGPL.

It does fullfil them. The source code of all components of the system is available enabling users to build the same software with a different version of GMP. That's all that the LGPL requires of software linked against a LGPL library.

Further, on http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html:

"Readline is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2. This means that if you want to use Readline in a program that you release or distribute to anyone, the program must be free
software and have a GPL-compatible license."

For your distribution to adhere to this, it appears to require GHC to have a
GPL-compatible license. I don't believe it does.

It does. GHC's codebase is a mix of BSD3, LGLP, and GPL. They are perfectly compatible. See <http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html >.

Manuel