Diane,

I can't speak to charge groups, but in terms of charges, I think I
remember that prodrg has a number of disclaimers about its charges.
Personally, I would be rather reluctant to use prodrg charges for
simulating ligands. A fast alternative would be to download the
Antechamber package, which can calculate am1-bcc charges, and run
pdb's/mol2 files for your molecules through it to get charges output
to a mol2 file, then write a little script to take these charges and
use them in your topology instead of those from prodrg.

Although am1-bcc charges are semi-empirical, we've been doing a pretty
extensive test of charge sets (including QM potentials from various
levels of theory fit with RESP) across a large series (well, 40-ish)
of molecules and are finding that am1-bcc charges actually give
hydration free energies that are in the best agreement with experiment
(RMS error about 1 kcal/mol in TIP3P). The best QM calcs roughly
comparable in terms of RMS error, but are obviously substantially more
demanding.

Best wishes,
David Mobley
UCSF