Dave,
I am using it for visualization for now. -pbc mol gave me the same output as
-pbc whole, which was a cubic box with broken protein. -pbc atom gave the
dodecahedron box and intact protein. But since the functionality of -pbc mol
has changed, and may not be applicable to visualization purposes, it is then
not a bug.
Judging from your reply, I seem to get the feeling that -pbc atom might not be
a wise idea later on if I do actual analysis of the MD trajectory.