Dear Gromacs users,

I want to write new analyses for gromacs and compile it (so I'll have
g_whatever) as part of the gromacs package.
Per the instructions I found on gromacs website, I installed kdevelop and
opened the gromacs as a project using kdevelop. However I have two
questions:
1) When I try to compile gromacs source, through kdevelop, I get a
"permission denied" error. I think it is because gromacs installation
requires root privileges. Any suggestions on how to bypass that, so I won't
have to use kdevelop as root (which is a *really* bad idea)? (e.g.,
installing gromacs without root?)
2) Are there any guidelines for writing new g_whatever analyses? Or any
general suggestions on how to approach it?

Thanks a bunch,
-Shay