On 7/3/12 10:49 AM, Turgay Cakmak wrote:
Hi all,

I am calculating SAS using g_sas of my system (several peptides in
water and ions, Na and Cl). I choose:
          for calculation group: non-water
          for output group: protein
  (400 out of 750 atoms were classified as hydrophobic)

When I plot the Area vs time graphs, both the hydrophobic-SAS and
hydrophilic-SAS decrease over the time. I think, the reason of the
hydrophobic-SAS decrease from 65 nm2 to 30nm2 is due to aggregation of
the peptides. But, I couldn't understant why hydrophilic-SAS is
decreasing from 40 nm2 to 20nm2 over time. Do the results make sense?

Sure, you've got both hydrophobic and hydrophilic contacts happening.

May be I mis-understand the meanings of the hydrophobic and
hydrophilic SAS. Please, someone could explain it to me, I would be so
glad.

These are merely subdivisions of total SASA. Atoms are either polar (hydrophilic) or nonpolar (hydrophobic) and thus contribute to the total SASA based on their characteristics.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Research Scientist