On 11/2/13 3:38 PM, kiana moghaddam wrote:
Hi GMX Users

I 'm running MD Simulation for DNA-ligand interaction. I ran energy
minimization with emtol=10, 100 and 250 in 10000 steps (steepest descent
followed by the conjugate gradient algorithm). The lowest value for energy
obtained for emtol=10.
I have some questions about energy minimization step. what is suitable value
for emtol in em.mdp file? how many steps is needed for energy minimization? and
how do I understand the minimization is successful?

The purpose of EM is to generate a reasonable configuration that can be subjected to dynamics. For most standard MD, an emtol in the neighborhood of 100-1000 is sufficient, and there are no hard and fast rules that I know of that motivates that choice. If MD fails, run EM again with a lower tolerance. For more sensitive calculations like free energy simulations and normal modes, you will want to minimize much more thoroughly (for NM, emtol < 1) and in double precision.

As long as the potential energy is negative and in a range that is expected given the size of the system (10^5 - 10^6 in the case of most solvated proteins or membranes), the outcome is probably acceptable.

The number of steps is largely irrelevant; the energetic outcome is far more important. I usually set nsteps to some huge value and just let EM converge as far as it will.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy