I wonder whether increasing the surface tension parameter sa-surface-tension might solve the problem with the protein unfolding.

Thanks,

     Gianluca

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Gianluca Interlandi wrote:

Hi Justin,

We are using infinite cutoffs (all vs all). Here is the mdp file for the heating (please note that -DPOSRES is commented out) and the time step is 1 fs:

; VARIOUS PREPROCESSING OPTIONS =
title                    =
cpp                      = /lib/cpp
include                  =
;define                   = -DPOSRES

; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS =
integrator               = md
; start time and timestep in ps =
tinit                    = 0
dt                       = 0.001
nsteps                   = 200000
; mode for center of mass motion removal =
comm-mode                = Linear
; number of steps for center of mass motion removal =
nstcomm                  = 1
; group(s) for center of mass motion removal =
comm-grps                =

; LANGEVIN DYNAMICS OPTIONS =
; Temperature, friction coefficient (amu/ps) and random seed =
;bd-temp                  = 300
bd-fric                  = 0
ld_seed                  = 1993

; IMPLICIT SOLVENT OPTIONS =
implicit-solvent         = GBSA
gb-algorithm             = OBC
rgbradii                 = 0

; ENERGY MINIMIZATION OPTIONS =
; Force tolerance and initial step-size =
emtol                    = 0.000001
emstep                   = 0.01
; Max number of iterations in relax_shells =
niter                    = 100
; Step size (1/ps^2) for minimization of flexible constraints =
fcstep                   = 0
; Frequency of steepest descents steps when doing CG =
nstcgsteep               = 1000

; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS =
; Output frequency for coords (x), velocities (v) and forces (f) =
nstxout                  = 0
nstvout                  = 0
nstfout                  = 0
; Output frequency for energies to log file and energy file =
nstlog                   = 100
nstenergy                = 100
; Output frequency and precision for xtc file =
nstxtcout                = 1000
xtc_precision            = 1000
; This selects the subset of atoms for the xtc file. You can =
; select multiple groups. By default all atoms will be written. =
xtc-grps                 =
; Selection of energy groups =
energygrps               =

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS =
; nblist update frequency =
nstlist                  = 0
; ns algorithm (simple or grid) =
ns_type                  = simple
; Periodic boundary conditions: xyz or no =
pbc                      = no
; nblist cut-off         =
rlist                    = 0
;rlistlong                = 1.8
domain-decomposition     = no

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW =
; Method for doing electrostatics =
coulombtype              = Cut-off
rcoulomb_switch          = 0
rcoulomb                 = 0
; Dielectric constant (DC) for cut-off or DC of reaction field =
epsilon_r                = 1
; Method for doing Van der Waals =
vdw-type                 = Cut-off
; cut-off lengths        =
rvdw_switch              = 0
rvdw                     = 0
; Apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure =
DispCorr                 = No
; Spacing for the PME/PPPM FFT grid =
fourierspacing           = 0.1
; FFT grid size, when a value is 0 fourierspacing will be used =
fourier_nx               = 0
fourier_ny               = 0
fourier_nz               = 0
; EWALD/PME/PPPM parameters =
pme_order                = 4
ewald_rtol               = 1e-05
ewald_geometry           = 3d
epsilon_surface          = 0
optimize_fft             = no

; OPTIONS FOR WEAK COUPLING ALGORITHMS =
; Temperature coupling   =
Tcoupl                   = V-rescale
; Groups to couple separately =
tc_grps                  = Protein
; Time constant (ps) and reference temperature (K) =
tau_t                    = 0.1
ref_t                    = 300
; Pressure coupling      =
Pcoupl                   = no
Pcoupltype               = isotropic
refcoord_scaling         = All
; Time constant (ps), compressibility (1/bar) and reference P (bar) =
tau_p                    = 1.0
compressibility          = 4.5e-5
ref_p                    = 1.0

; SIMULATED ANNEALING CONTROL =
annealing                = single
; Number of time points to use for specifying annealing in each group
annealing_npoints         = 21
; List of times at the annealing points for each group
annealing_time = 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 110 120 130 140 150 160 170 180 190 200
; Temp. at each annealing point, for each group
annealing_temp = 5 30 30 60 60 90 90 120 120 150 150 180 180 210 210 240 240 270 270 300 300

; GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN =
gen_vel                  = yes
gen_temp                 = 5
gen_seed                 = 173529

; OPTIONS FOR BONDS     =
constraints              = none
; Type of constraint algorithm =
;constraint_algorithm     = Lincs
; Do not constrain the start configuration =
unconstrained_start      = no
; Use successive overrelaxation to reduce the number of shake iterations =
Shake-SOR                = no
; Relative tolerance of shake =
shake_tol                = 1e-04
; Highest order in the expansion of the constraint coupling matrix =
lincs_order              = 4
; Lincs will write a warning to the stderr if in one step a bond =
; rotates over more degrees than =
lincs_warnangle          = 30
; Convert harmonic bonds to morse potentials =
morse                    = no