>   It continues to amaze me how short people's memories are.
> It was not long ago at all that an Internet feed of the speed
> you get from a cable ISP would cost you thousands of dollars
> per month.  Not that I am in any way defending the
> AT&T/Comcast monopoly; I just don't understand how anyone can
> see a 3000% price reduction in the space of five years and
> wonder why service suffers.  Did "cheap, reliable, fast
> Internet access" get added to "life, liberty, and the pursuit
> of happiness" when I wasn't looking?  :-)

It really depends on where you are.. Up here in the north east with
super shitty old phone lines on the poles that is true, but out west you
could get 128 ISDN line for the same price as a normal phone line..
That's not to shabby for 1995ish.

I think the problem is that people feel it's like the drug dealer who
gives you the first hit for free. I'm sure I speak for most people that
have high speed access.... None of us want to go back to dial up.. EVER